[ckan-dev] FileStore integration with Apache does not work

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Apr 2 09:01:17 UTC 2013

> I did following test:
>
> 1) Start the paster web server.
> 2) Add a resource to a dataset and upload an image to it (via the port 5000 web service)
> 3) Stop the paster web server (and delete the session files in "pyenv/src/ckan/data/sessions" due to potential permission conflict ckan user vs. www user)
> 4) Access CKAN via Apache web service. Result: The image is still available via the Apache web service. But the "Upload" button/link does not appear!
>
> So, the general integration to the storage area works, but to some
> extent the Phython API is not fully working with Apache. Is there
> something to consider regarding the API path described at
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/filestore-api.html ? Since after
> initial Apache integration I got errors like

File storage doesn't work any differently in the development server than
with apache.

Are you using two different CKAN ini files, one with the development
server and one with Apache? Is there a difference between the
configuration files?

Is this a UNIX permissions problem? When you run the development server
that is run as your unix user, but when you run Apache then CKAN runs as
apache's unix user (www-data on ubuntu).

> So, I assume that Apache does not have the right path to the API. The
> only Apache config so far is

This seems unlikely. Try visiting a url like /api/3/action/package_list
when running CKAN in Apache, and see if you get a response from CKAN's
action API.

I think the problem is probably something to do with your FileStore
setup when running under Apache.