[ckan-dev] Notes about the translation process

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:20:33 UTC 2013

On 16 April 2013 21:02, Stefan Wehrmeyer <stefan.wehrmeyer at okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear CKAN-Devs,
>
> I just translated some CKAN copy to German and stumbled upon a couple of
> things. Quite clearly there is a section missing in the contributing
> section of the docs about how to treat copy (at least I couldn't find any
> info about it).

Stefan,

Thanks for this. I agree that we need to do some work around this to make
the translators life easier.  At some point we will remove the old genshi
templates that create some noise.  We should also be more consistent in our
use of substitutions at the moment we have

we should look at simplifying the number of ways we do the same thing and
...{descriptive_name}.. sounds the best

I think I might look at some tests to automate some of the rules but others
are subjective.  I happened to look at the translation string yesterday and
there are some very untranslatable looking ones.

This advice is really useful

@sean/@johnmartin can you look at getting this into our developer docs