[ckan-dev] API abuse

Peder Jakobsen | gmail pjakobsen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:20:33 UTC 2013

This is not an easy problem to deal with and most solutions will have
drawbacks.  For planned Denial of Service attacks, it possible to forge the
IP in the packets being sent, so banning IP addresses is not a permanent
solution even if it stops one attacker.   If you feel the attacks are
coming from a particular part of the world, you could block an entire IP
range.  :(

How about just insisting on a key for all API calls?  That way you could
limit the number of requests allow per day per key, that's how a lot of web
services are designed AFAIK.

Peder