[ckan-dev] Packaging

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Mon Apr 22 11:53:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 22 April 2013 12:01, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> I really do hope someone will have time to do this as I think install
>> from source is a barrier for some people, not everyone is a dev and/or
>> comfortable with doing it that way.
+1, we'll do our best to try to provide an option for this.

>> The current docs are *extremely* confusing especially as latest is
>> labelled 2.1, and there's no sign of 2.0 docs at all.
>
> Yeah this is a problem. The 2.0 docs won't appear until we release 2.0
> final (and push the ckan-2.0 tag to github), currently rtd doesn't
> generate docs for beta versions.
The only option would be to create a "release-v2.0" branch on rtd that
will eventually be replaced by the "ckan-2.0" tag when 2.0 comes out.
This will break links so it's not optimal but at least there is
something public named 2.0.

> We do need the docs for the latest development version on rtd, so people
> can review docs before release. But "latest" is a terrible name as it
> could mean either the latest development version or the latest stable
> release, and the fact that is says 2.1 just makes it worse, something
> like "development" would be a better name for this.
I enabled "master" (as this is what actually "latest" is) a while back
and was told to remove it as it was confusing. RTD only supports
"latest", which you can choose where to point to, branches and tags,
so unless we rename master on keep a branch development always in sync
in the repo I can't see a way of doing it.

Adrià