[ckan-dev] Relationships between Datasets and Organizations

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Thu Aug 8 21:33:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how the relationship between datasets and
organizations works. For Groups, as far as I can see, the relationship is
something like:

  Dataset -> Member -> Group

Member is a many-to-many association between Dataset and Group. At first I
thought it was the same for Organizations, but I think there's something
else. They have these associations, with entries in Member, with activity =
'organization', but there's also an owner_org column in Dataset itself.
Basically, we have both:

  Dataset -> Member -> Organization

and:

  Dataset -> Organization (through owner_org field).

What's the difference between these two ways?

Cheers,

Vítor Baptista

Developer  |  http://vitorbaptista.com |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/vitorbaptista>|