[ckan-dev] Fwd: Harvesting Group data

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Fri Dec 6 09:07:45 UTC 2013

Hi Philip,

I'm not entirely sure, but in our harvesters we used to specify groups as a
list of group names and not as a list of dictionaries, so the data should
look like this:

{'authors': [],
 'extras': {'alternative_title': u'Proteomics informed by
transcriptomics raw dataset ',
            'author_string': '',
            'contributor_string': '',
            'doi': u'10.5523/bris.12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',
            'language': u'eng',
            'publication_date': '29 Nov 2012',
            'publisher': u'University of Bristol'},
 *'groups': ['medical-and-veterinary-**sciences'],*
 'id': '12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',
 'license_id': 'uk-ncgl',
 'name': '12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',

I think it even doesn't matter if it's the group's name or id, both should
work.

Regards Stefan

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Philip Cross <cmpac at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm having a problem adding group information to harvested datasets.
> We have an extension based on ckan-harvest that harvests RDF files of
> package metadata for inclusion in the data.bris repository. The
> harvester is working fine except that I cannot get it to recognise
> groups.
>
> We have a number of groups set up that relate to University of Bristol
> faculties. Our harvester sets the group name into a dictionary which
> is placed into the package['groups'] array. This appears to be
> successfully imported according to the relevant log entry:
>

> 2013-12-05 12:49:23,793 DEBUG [ckanext.databris.harvesters.databris]
> {'authors': [],
>  'extras': {'alternative_title': u'Proteomics informed by
> transcriptomics raw dataset ',
>             'author_string': '',
>             'contributor_string': '',
>             'doi': u'10.5523/bris.12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',
>             'language': u'eng',
>             'publication_date': '29 Nov 2012',
>             'publisher': u'University of Bristol'},
>  'groups': [{'name': 'medical-and-veterinary-sciences'}],
>  'id': '12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',
>  'license_id': 'uk-ncgl',
>  'name': '12mjtnrtsdjfs17sl4pq2ucqrk',
>

> where the group 'name' is 'medical-and-veterinary-sciences'
>
> However, this info does not end up in the database, where a call to
> package_show, gives an empty array for 'groups'.
>
> I can see that our ckan installation knows about this group via the
> group_list action:
>
> "result": ["arts", "engineering", "medical-and-veterinary-sciences",
> "medicine-and-dentistry", "science", "social-sciences-and-law"]}
>
> I've tried giving the group id instead of the name and also tried
> giving both values in the group dictionary but I was assuming a
> reference to either would be sufficient as specified under the
> package_create() section of the API (we're using version 2.2)
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> ---------------------------------
> Phil Cross
> Senior Technical Researcher
> IT Services R&D/ILRT
> University of Bristol
> 8 - 10 Berkeley Square
> Bristol, BS8 1HH
> Tel: +44 (0)117 331 4391
> Fax: +44 (0)117 331 4396
> E-mail: phil.cross at bristol.ac.uk
> Skype: philip_cross

Liip AG  //  Feldstrasse 133 //  CH-8004 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch