[ckan-dev] customize homepage ckan

Aaron McGlinchy McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Dec 8 23:59:22 UTC 2013

Hi Hilde,
           I too am a bit of a novice when it comes to css etc.  I have found with the help of people on here some ways to customise my front screen using the 'custom css' box in the sysadmin| config section (code appended below).

You could copy and paste this code in, and change the paths to image files to suit yourself.  The image "LCR-ckan-homepage-background.jpg" is loaded into our CKAN install, but the others are just borrowed from our public website (so they will work for you as a test).  Depending on your images you might want to tweak the height, padding etc settings.  I found that IE and Firefox render things slightly differently, so experimented to get values that looked OK in both.

Unfortunately our install has crashed at the moment, so I can't point you to see what it looks like.

Regards
Aaron

.hero { background: lightsteelblue; }
.hero { background-image: url("/base/images/LCR-ckan-homepage-background.jpg");}

/* Remove the feature image */
div.hero-primary section.featured.media-overlay {
display: none;
}
/* Style up front page */
div.hero-primary header {
background-image: url(http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/__data/assets/image/0015/15504/6-Measuring-Biodiversity.jpg);

background-size: cover;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center;
height: 185px; /* 185 = works in both IE and Firefox, 250=good, 264=height of main background image */
padding-top: 24px; /* originally was 42, but 24 works better in IE at height 185 */
padding-bottom: 24px;
border-radius: 3px;
font-size: 1.3em;
font-weight: bold;
color: white;
text-shadow: 2px 2px 2px black;
text-align: center;
}

Today's Topics:

   2. customize homepage ckan (Hildegard Gerlach)

Message: 2