[ckan-dev] CKAN on Ubuntu

Hildegard Gerlach hildegard.gerlach at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Fri Dec 20 12:07:00 UTC 2013

Hi Nigel,

I installed version 2.0 following
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-package.html

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y nginx apache2 libapache2-mod-wsgi libpq5
wget http://packaging.ckan.org/python-ckan_2.0_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-ckan_2.1_amd64.deb

CKAN is working !

Now I installed the virtualenv as this was not done by default:

sudo apt-get install -y python-virtualenv

create the virtual environment in /usr/lib/ckan/default
as user root (from package install everything is installed as user root)

I get this error message using paster (in the virtual environment)
paster --plugin=ckan user list -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini
The program 'paster' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing:
apt-get install python-pastescript

install pastescript for the paster command
apt-get install -y python-pastescript

Now I get this error message:

paster --plugin=ckan user list -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/paster", line 4, in <module>
command.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paste/script/command.py", line
103, in run
command = commands[command_name].load()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1989, in load
entry = __import__(self.module_name, globals(),globals(), ['__name__'])
File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan/ckan/lib/cli.py", line 11, in <module>
import ckan.lib.fanstatic_resources as fanstatic_resources
File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan/ckan/lib/fanstatic_resources.py",
line 6, in <module>
from fanstatic import Library, Resource, Group, get_library_registry
ImportError: No module named fanstatic

Obviously the packages are not in the correct path ? But as there was no
virtual environment I don't know where they should be.

Thanks

Hilde