[ckan-dev] Release 2.0 branch now in beta mode: some guidelines

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Thu Feb 28 15:21:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,

CKAN 2.0 beta version has just been announced [1], an important step
towards CKAN's biggest release to the date.

We are quite a few developers now and there are lots of things going
on so here are some guidelines that you should follow if you are
pushing stuff to the main CKAN repo:

* From now on only fixes and non-breaking changes will be pushed to 2.0.

* If you pushed some changes that need to be on 2.0 *you need to let
me know*. I can't keep an eye on master constantly for stuff that
should go in 2.0. GitHub comments or pinging me on IRC is fine but at
least I should get an email as that makes easier for me to keep track
of things. That may be a bit tedious (for both devs and me) on the
next few days as there will be lots of fixes, but I think is worth the
hassle.
BTW "Have you looked into the dataset edit stuff we talked two days
ago?" nope, "Have you looked at #641"? yes!

* The previous point applies to anything merged to master since
yesterday (Feb 27th) morning, so please check if something that you
merged to master since then needs to go on 2.0.

* If a branch/pull request is meant to be merged in 2.0 please keep
the commits nice and clean, rebasing them is there are lots of them,
fixing just the thing described in the issue and avoiding unrelated
extra cleanups/fixes. Remember to add the issue number at the
beginning of the commit message.

For all our external contributors, this does not affect your
contributions, a CKAN developer would take care of your pull request
after reviewing.

In case of doubt let me know,

Adrià

[1] http://ckan.org/2013/02/27/ckan-2-0-beta-has-arrived/