[ckan-dev] CKAN 2 permissions / publisher mode question

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon Feb 4 11:57:27 UTC 2013

> I'm trying out the latest CKAN 2 (from the release-v2.0 branch).
>
> Over here at hub.healthdata.gov, we need the " Publisher Mode"
> described in the docs. I was able to make it work in CKAN 1.7
> without any trouble.

This publisher mode is no longer used in CKAN 2.0. 2.0 has a new
"organizations" feature, enabled by default, that does what the
publisher mode did and more.

Just register a user account and login, go to the organizations page
(link in header at top of site), add a new organization, then add a
dataset to that organization using the button on the organization's
page.

A dataset belonging to an organization can only be edited by users who
are members of that organization.

To add users to an organization, go to the organization's page and click
on edit and then members.

> $ paster --plugin=ckan rights list

This whole paster rights system is going to be removed in CKAN 2.0 I
believe, so I'm suprised this command is still there.

> ckan.default_roles.Package = {"visitor": ["reader"], "logged_in":
> ["reader"]}
> ckan.default_roles.Group = {"visitor": ["reader"], "logged_in": ["reader"]}
> ckan.default_roles.System = {"visitor": ["reader"], "logged_in": ["reader"]}
> ckan.default_roles.AuthorizationGroup = {"visitor": ["reader"],
> "logged_in": ["reader"]}

These settings are also being removed in CKAN 2.0, and shouldn't be in
the default ini file.