[ckan-dev] Recommended practice for supporting both CKAN 1.8 and 2.0 in extensions

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Feb 5 09:50:59 UTC 2013

> If anybody is interested, I have put a bounty of 100 points of my hard
> earned reputation on StackOverflow to answer the question on uploading a
> file to datahub.io through a Java client.
> No response yet... common Java developers, that's an easy one!
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14535523/uploading-files-to-a-dataset-in-ckan-datahub-io-through-a-java-client

Keep in mind that CKAN is a Python app and most devs on this list are
Python devs.

I need more information to be able to help you with this..

I tried to compile and run your Java code against a local dev copy of
CKAN so I could see what's happening, but the code you've posted to
Stack Overflow isn't a complete Java program and doesn't compile, so to
try it I'd first need to finish the code, and I haven't written any Java
in a while.

I also looked for tracebacks in the datahub.io logs, but unfortunately I
didn't find any errors that seem to be triggered by your Java client
(maybe I missed them).

If you install a dev copy of CKAN 1.8 locally and change your Java code
to  post to that instead, then you should see be able to see the actual
Python traceback from CKAN (rather than just 500 Server Error) and that
may tell you (or help us to tell you) what's going wrong. Failing that,
if you could post a complete Java program that I can compile and run
then I can try it against my local dev copy of CKAN for you.