[ckan-dev] Should the CKAN Harvester copy groups?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Feb 7 11:33:16 UTC 2013

> I was using the CKAN Harvester extension to harvest packages from a remote
> CKAN instance.
> Unfortunately, the harvest process does not copy the CKAN's remote groups,
> which is also
> documented here:
>
> https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-harvest/blob/master/ckanext/harvest/harvesters/ckanharvester.py#L248
>
> "Ignore remote groups for the time being"
>
> Would it make sense to add a group registration here, so that the groups
> can be copied?

That's a good question. I can imagine use-cases either way, so maybe
copy_remote_groups should be a ckanharvester option.

Adria might be able to shed some light on why it doesn't copy remote
groups currently, have we simply not got round to implementing it yet or
are there reasons not to implement it?