[ckan-dev] API docs update

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Feb 7 14:49:51 UTC 2013

If ckanclient only supports the v1/2 APIs (not 100% sure if this is
true, I'll check later) then maybe a link to it should just be added on
the Legacy APIs page? But not on the Action API page. In other words
ckanclient would become "legacy" and deprecated, at least until somone
turns it into an Action API client.

> > I removed the whole "Tools for Accessing the API" section, which
> > included links to ckanclient and several other ckan api clients written
> > in other languages. This could be put back, but I figure most of these
> > clients are probably out of date and we surely can't support that many
> > api clients in different languages and keep them all up to date.
> I think they are still useful as examples, even if out of date. We
> should just put a big warning on top "We don't maintain these and may
> be out of date"

I'd rather delete them, there's nothing worse than a bad example that
doesn't work.

If we're going to give an example of how to use the API, maybe it should
be in the form of some Python code in the core CKAN git repo, with unit
tests, so it's always known to be working.

I'm not sure that examples in other languages are worth having, given
the problem with maintaining them. If there is a place for them it's
probably on a neglected old wiki page, rather than in the official docs.