[ckan-dev] Dpm and DataDeck rewriting. What about ckanclient?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri Feb 15 10:02:46 UTC 2013

> What do you think about the sdpm + DataDeck idea? Think of the couple
> like apt and Synaptic package manager

This sounds to me kind of like a command-line interface for CKAN's
action API? e.g. to print out the details of the gold prices package:

    $ dpm package show gold_prices

etc. It seems like a nice idea to me and should be easy enough to do as
a thin wrapper around the action api.

> Regarding the API version / ckanclient: should I use the actual
> ckanclient? Should I wait for a better ckanclient instead?

Well, no one has actually committed to making a better ckanclient. I
wouldn't recommend using the existing ckanclient. Either use something
like this:

https://gist.github.com/seanh/4130567

Or, make a new ckanclient yourself!

Honestly, I think developing a new ckanclient as a thin wrapper around
the action api _would_ be a fairly high-level development job.

I and others would be happy to discuss the design with you on this list.