[ckan-dev] [RFC] libckan - Python library for APIv3 (Action) and CKAN v2.0.0

Daniel Graziotin dgraziotin at task3.cc
Tue Feb 26 17:11:08 UTC 2013

Hi Nigel and Sean,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to be back to help the community.

> every time the fields of a CKAN package change in a new version you will have to change that class. Multiply that across all the model objects [..]
> Ideally, you want one version of libckan to be able to interact with different sites running different versions of ckan. [..] just deals with dicts and using json to dump and load them

I did not know that CKAN server welcomes changes to the models. Good that I paused development to wait for feedback.
Dropping the Python classes further simplifies the job for me.
No damages at all, I will probably re-use them for the apt-like client that will be built around libckan (I will call it ckan-get!).

> Coding Style: Can you look at the imports section[2] of CKAN coding standards? It'd be nice if you can follow that as well.

Sure, thanks for pointing them out.

> Metadata: I notice that you have __author__ metadata in most files. At some point, I hope you'll be pushing this package to cheeseshop and the metadata in setup.py should probably be preferred over having it in every file.

This is something my IDE does when creating a file. I will remove them in the next commit.
For sure libckan will be published in PyPI when it reaches some completeness.
Additionally, I would be glad to transfer the repository to OKFN github organization when stability and consensus on libckan are reached. I should already have some privileges there.
No worries, however.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.
For everybody: feel free to discuss anything else here and to open issues / feature request on Github.

Cheers,

--Daniel Graziotin