[ckan-dev] "Geo"-Datastore?

Ryan Clark ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
Tue Jan 8 19:11:58 UTC 2013

I'm working on a project that will involve users uploading .csv files containing lat/lng columns. The goal is to accept these uploads and put the data into PostGIS tables which will be exposed through Geoserver as WMS/WFS layers.

The way I see it, the Datastorer -> Datastore chain already takes care of most of what needs to be done, minus two important aspects:
Need to create a PostGIS geometry column in the PostgreSQL table currently built by the Datastore extension
Need to convert lat/lng columns into WKT or WKB formats to be loaded into the PostGIS geometry column
Configure Geoserver to look at that table (but I'm not worried about this just yet)

What I'm struggling with is trying to find the right way to bundle this functionality as an extension. I tried to follow the Datastore function chain through, from the JSON POSTed to .../dataset_create until the data is loaded into a PostgreSQL table. It didn't appear that there were any plugin hooks in the chain that could be used to accomplish these two extra tasks.

Does anyone have any good ideas where I might be able to hook in? Its very possible I missed something, or perhaps there is some other plugin interface that I should consider?

My last ditch effort would involve modifying the Datastorer extension to POST to my own URL, and mimic Datastore functionality there, plus my geo-extras. Another option could be to modify the Datastore extension and plant my own plugin hooks.

Thanks!

Ryan Clark
ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
(520) 302-4871