[ckan-dev] [pycsw-devel] OSGeo incubation and project mentorship

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue Jan 15 16:21:31 UTC 2013

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry for the late reply, see below.

On 11 January 2013 15:53, Jeffrey Johnson <ortelius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adria et al,
>
> We would _love_ to work on federation between GeoNode and CKAN, and since
> both will be using pycsw, it should not be terribly difficult.
That's excellent news! When we finish the integration, the metadata
available on CKAN (at least for geographic records) should be indeed
available via a CSW interface powered by pycsw, so if GeoNode can
import CSW endpoints that should be all that is needed. CKAN can
harvest CSW endpoints so the other way round should also be possible.

The CSW interface will only expose these fields available on the pycsw
model [1]. If extra information was needed, then CKAN's API [2]
exposes all fields and actions available

> I've setup CKAN locally but havent dug into the dev process too much. Whats your
> timeline for integration and how can we collaborate on federation so that we
> can make this the premier example of federation of this sort.
We have a pretty good idea on how to do the integration with pycsw,
but this specific piece of work is part of a much bigger project so is
waiting for other stuff to be finished first. I imagine it will be
done during the next few weeks.

> We are also super keen to make it easy to establish a geonode layer from a
> CKAN dataset, but we can take that up elsewhere.
Happy to discuss it on ckan-dev or the geonode lists

Adrià

[1] https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/pycsw/admin.py#L91
[2] http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/apiv3.html#action-api