[ckan-dev] Custom field persistence

Ryan Clark ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
Fri Jan 18 19:18:11 UTC 2013

Hello!

I've found some good examples of using IDatasetForm and db_to_form_schema / form_to_db_schema to add a custom field to datasets. All the examples that I've found then utilize convert_to / from_extras() to persist the custom info in the extras table.

In my situation I have more complex data that requires persistence in another dedicated table. How can I accomplish this? That is to say, can I create a custom field that is not handled through the standard extra fields mechanisms?

I'm also curious if there is some documentation about the structure of the schema object returned by ckan.logic.schema.package_form_schema? When I add properties to the object, I add a list of entries, but what goes into that list? I'm hoping that through that schema object I can implement custom functions to persist additional content. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Ryan Clark
ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
(520) 302-4871