[ckan-dev] Removal of dataproxy backend from data explorer

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 4 12:58:47 UTC 2013

I think we should think hard before doing this. Setting up the
DataStore (and the DataStorer) is some degree of extra work. Removing
support for DataProxy then removes some very useful functionality that
often "just works" out of the box.

Type information could be added *very* easily to DataProxy once
messytables supports streaming [1] and that works gets integrated with
data converters: https://github.com/okfn/data-converters

rufus

[1]: https://github.com/okfn/messytables/issues/24

On 3 January 2013 09:22, John Glover <john.glover at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There was a suggestion that we disable the dataproxy backend in the data
> explorer in CKAN 2.0, as the lack of type information makes visualisation
> difficult. In order to preview tabular data it would therefore first have to
> be added to the new CKAN datastore. Are there any objections to this?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation