[ckan-dev] "Geo"-Datastore?

Ryan Clark ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
Wed Jan 9 00:24:39 UTC 2013

Thanks Dominik -

Just to be clear, would you imagine that we would:
1) modify the DataStore extension to include some appropriate plugin hooks, then
2) build a custom extension that would utilize those hooks in order to implement the geo-datastore concept?

That seems to me to make the most sense, since we'd love to see the hooks make their way into OKFN's CKAN repository, but I would assume that the geospatial functionality itself might best live in an extension somewhere. I was envisioning a "ckanext-geoserver" extension that would allow users to set configuration options about connecting to a running Geoserver instance, and allow them to specify that a .csv file they're about to upload is a target for deployment via Geoserver. At that point you'd trigger the functionality to create a PostGIS-enabled table and plug in the appropriate content.

It turns out that going from CSV to PostGIS is remarkably simple using the OGR python bindings. Here are the basics: https://gist.github.com/bd08f0e7476ab6939bab

Feel free to send me and Christoph an email directly if you think this discussion should be moved off the development list.

Thanks!

Ryan Clark
ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
(520) 302-4871