[ckan-dev] Recommended practice for supporting both CKAN 1.8 and 2.0 in extensions

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:36:37 UTC 2013

On 18 January 2013 09:30, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> Toby,
>
> Do you have any suggestions on the best way to keep the extensions working
> with 1.x, and do you have objections to branching the current code into a
> 1.x branch?  There are still a lot of sites on 1.x for whom the upgrade to
> 2.0 would be very difficult, or at least very time consuming, at least in
> terms of templating - maybe not immediately, but at some point in the
> future.

Ross,

Hi, I agree it is important to keep 1.x extensions running.  We should at
the minimum branch at a working version.

Personally I'm very much in to maintaining backwards compatibility where we
can.  Some extensions can support both ckan 1.0 and 2.0 together easily.
But for others it is more difficult.

But we should keep the existing stuff working.

I'd really like us to get some good extension writing docs at some point
but it would require quite a bit of work and some decisions being made.

basically 1.x we need to use genshi templates, 2.0 we can use both but
genshi is due to die at some point so they should use jinja2 so to support
both we need both template types.  With this we could postpone killing
genshi and just keep genshi templates (this may be the best approach)
switching to template helpers so the extension adds a helper function that
renders a snippet means we don't need IGenshiStreamFilter which is the main
problem.

There are more issues with including stuff from ckan outside of
ckan.plugins that cause problems.  I think we need to look at each
extension individually.

Hope that helps.  let me know if you need any specific info.  Hope all is
good with you.  I'm in a bar on a beach in Thailand so can't complain too
much

Toby

Ross