[ckan-dev] Handle System extensions for CKAN?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon Jan 21 15:59:06 UTC 2013

If I understand right, you want to have different types of datasets, and
the metadata fields that a type of dataset has (and presents to the user
to be filled in) depends on an externally-hosted RDF file that defines
the type?

This should be doable using a CKAN IDatasetForm plugin, I think.

However for the data files themselves (i.e. the "resources" in CKAN
language) there is no corresponding IResourceForm plugin interface yet,
CKAN's resource form is not customisable in the way that its dataset
form is yet. You _can_ add arbitrary key, value pairs to resources just
like you can to datasets, but for resources you have to do this over the
API, because the web form isn't customisable. You could implement your
own web form for creating and updating resources though, I believe this
might be possible to do either with a CKAN extension or with a
standalone web app (communicating with a CKAN instance via CKAN's API).