[ckan-dev] Custom field persistence

Ryan Clark ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
Mon Jan 21 17:37:08 UTC 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

On Jan 21, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:

> Doesn't the spatial extension store its data in another table linked
> to the dataset?
>
> Ian

Some of it, I think. Following that as an example I was able to build a paster command to create the additional tables that I want linked to the dataset. What I'm looking for now is how to make adjustments to the dataset forms to incorporate the additional data.

I guess I could
- Build an action that accepts a POST containing the additional data to link to the dataset package
- Use some custom form templates to allow the user to populate my additional metadata
- Work a call to my action into the form submission process via JavaScript

I wondered initially if there was any mechanism for these kinds of extensions to the metadata package that was less piece-meal, but I don't see why this way wouldn't work.

Different but related question from a CKAN newbie: What are the advantages of making new actions vs. just using IRoutes to map a URL to a python function?

Ryan Clark
ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
(520) 302-4871