[ckan-dev] Handle System extensions for CKAN?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Jan 22 12:07:10 UTC 2013

> > However for the data files themselves (i.e. the "resources" in CKAN
> > language) there is no corresponding IResourceForm plugin interface yet,
> > CKAN's resource form is not customisable in the way that its dataset
> > form is yet. You _can_ add arbitrary key, value pairs to resources just
> > like you can to datasets, but for resources you have to do this over the
> > API, because the web form isn't customisable. You could implement your
> > own web form for creating and updating resources though, I believe this
> > might be possible to do either with a CKAN extension or with a
> > standalone web app (communicating with a CKAN instance via CKAN's API).
>
> Can you provide a link into the API documentation
> <http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api.html> to a place that discusses
> this?

The place to look would be:

    http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/apiv3.html

Look at the resource_create and resource_update values.

It's probably not documented, but as well as the documented params I
think you can also post an arbitrary param like foo=bar to
resource_create/update and this will get stored in the resource. You may
have to test this to make sure.