[ckan-dev] ckan Installation problem

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Jan 24 09:28:15 UTC 2013

> I want to install ckan but I face some problems.
>
> I have a windows server and installed Ubuntu through virtual box.
> The native windows server runs an apache server so I need the apache on
> Ubuntu to run on a different port than the default 80, so I changed it to
> 4000 (by editing the ports.conf file of apache).
>
> The problem is when I change the port I cannot reach ckan web page. Is
> there a way to cinfigure the port ckan listens?

Hmm. So the Windows host OS is running Apache on port 80? I think you
can install run Apache on port 80 of your Ubuntu virtual machine, but by
default ports of the VM will not be visible to a web browser running in
the host OS. You have to setup virtualbox _port forwarding_, and tell it
to forward some port of the host OS (e.g. 8080) to port 80 of the
virtual machine.

I don't know how you setup port forwarding in Virtualbox on Windows, I
normally do this using Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) but I'm not
sure if that works on Windows. It shouldn't be hard to find out how to
forward ports using Virtualbox's GUI though..