[ckan-dev] 2 CKAN instances, 1 public and 1 private.

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Tue Jul 9 12:18:41 UTC 2013

On Jul 9, 2013 3:03 AM, "Henrik Aagaard Sørensen" <BU1G at tmf.kk.dk> wrote:

> I’m thinking of doing a setup with 2 CKAN instances. 1 public and 1
private, where the private is protected within a firewall etc.

> Is it possible to have the private instance pushing all its data to the
public, so people can retrieve the same data (and more) from the public as
there are on the private?

This sounds exactly like what we're doing for data.gc.ca.

> I’ve tried to read a bit on the harvester extension, but I’m not quite
sure that it is intended for such a setup?

We didn't go the harvester route, instead we added a paster command that
uses the activity stream and package_show actions to collect updates, and
the package_create/update/delete actions to push those changes to our
public site.

You can find our code here:
https://github.com/open-data/ckanext-canada#L380