[ckan-dev] Data Preview Function

Dominik Moritz dominik.moritz at okfn.org
Sat Jul 27 22:40:11 UTC 2013

Hey Shawn,

On 22 Jul 2013, at 20:37, Shawn <zigchg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dominik,
>
> We apologize for asking so many questions. However, I believe we are close
> to figuring out what we need to do. I hope that this may be our last
> question for you.
>
> For the data preview function that we have been mentioning before, we have
> come to an error when we upload a new file. Below is the error message we
> are getting.
>
> *Could not load preview: DataProxy returned an error (Data transformation
> failed. error: An error occured while connecting to the server: Unable to
> fetch URL:
> http://localhost/storage/f/2013-07-22T18%3A29%3A03.257Z/gold-prices.csv)*

The problem is that the data proxy (which is used to transform csv to something that the data preview can understand) is a server on the internet. Consequently the files you want to preview have to publicly accessible from the internet as well. localhost is your own computer which means that the dataproxy cannot access it.

To solve this, wither put the file in the datastore using the datastorer or put the file on a server and provide the correct url.

> The thing that is puzzling is that the first .csv file we uploaded, we are
> able to utilize the "preview" function. However, for the files that we
> uploaded after, none of the the .csv files seems to allow the "preview"
> function to work (all come with the same warning message).
>
> Thank you for your help throughout this ordeal. We really appreciate it and
> hope that we are able to fix this last problem. Thanks again!

You are very welcome.