[ckan-dev] ckanext-importlib

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Tue Jul 30 17:08:06 UTC 2013

Here's a bit more about ckanext-importlib below. I'll add this to the readme.

Dave

One-off imports of metadata into CKAN isn't very hard, and using
ckanclient directly is probably best for that. But when you are
continuously importing you have some challenges which this library
aims to help with:

* when you reimport a dataset you want to check if it already exists
in CKAN, using an ID stored in an extra field and possibly another
extra field naming the source

* you may import resources, which become grouped into datasets (e.g.
time series data) - ResourceSeriesLoader

* when you derive a unique name for a dataset from its title, you need
to avoid clashes.

ckanext-importlib was designed as a framework to be expanded, based on
the needs of the data.gov.uk ONS importer. But TBH it is not so
flexible. But even if you don't use it, you might want to steal stuff
from it.