[ckan-dev] update on the update

fwolanczyk at cs.com fwolanczyk at cs.com
Tue Jun 11 16:29:00 UTC 2013

hi all,
i would like to update you on my progress, and happily tell you i made the deadline,
http://nycbigapps.com/project/296/Citizen-Reporter-citizens-report-to-NYC-public-data

i would like to thank Dominik Moritz for working with me to diagnose the problems.

this project is an iPhone app, written in objective -c
once i conquered the http "POST" request, the problems were that somehow, in my haste "insert" got changed to "upsert", the latter needing a unique id, but not what i needed, as my app merely "adds" a row to the dataset.
also, my json data dictionary was backwards.

basically, what the app does is get meta data (from a csv dataset) from our datastore in rdf - parse out the columns and create a table "input" form to be able to add data to the dataset chosen  -
for example - here in New York, we have "311" to call to report city problems - my app gives an interface to "post" to 311 (among other datasets)

an important key to my project is the selecting and storing of an image (not implemented yet)
i was very excited to see BlobData supported, as at my last job at Applied Visions, for the MeerCAT project , i successfully stored an image in blob format, also at Chyron we dealt with encoded images, so i was somewhat confident it was possible.

feel free to comment, (if possible) on the site as to what a great idea it is... (i think so)
and thanks to NYC Facets for their innovative work in this area - without which, my work would not have been possible!!
I am committed to making our NYC data even better for all citizens -

feel free to contact me on Linked In or personally (Frances Caruso Wolanczyk) with any opportunities!!!
im interested!