[ckan-dev] Creating 4 featured groups on the index page instead of 2.

Ralf Krüdewagen user66 at arcor.de
Thu Jun 13 06:06:39 UTC 2013

Hi Mireille,

that's a good question.

Some days ago I tried to figure out how to change these featured groups on the home page with following result:

- The amount of groups is hardcoded in the python sources (https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/ckan/controllers/home.py). The code has already been marked as "horrible hack" ;-)

- The "ckan.featured_groups" setting does not have any effect. Whatever I configure there the groups shown on start page are always the same.

- It's unclear how the groups to be shown are selected (need to understand the source code).

- It's also unclear how the datasets are selected shown in the groups (by time or number of resources, ... ??)

So, from a user perspective there is much room for improvement setting up static pages in CKAN in order to slightly change the look&feel.

There is quite much documentation about how to template and write extensions in order to customize CKAN. But to be honest: This is by far too complicated for non-developers. For example, I tried to figure out how to simply add a static page like "Feedback" or "Contact". Or to change CSS styles, change a page, etc. CKAN seems to be very flexible here by using some CKAN config parameters, some parameters in the admin GUI, templates, extensions and "resource" tools, but as I said that's too complicated. I still does not know how to customize CKAN without writing python code. Even the template engine is not really obvious and is just described for changing a page, not to add a new page.

 I wish to have a basic CMS systems on top of the core CKAN (as data storage) in order to build the static pages. Maybe something like a mini wordpress.

Cheers
Ralf