[ckan-dev] one CKAN - several clients

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Jun 13 12:22:42 UTC 2013

> Hi experts,
> I want to run a single CKAN installation with several separate client areas.
> So that one client/organization can have their own datasets and
> another client has another set of data.
> If I do have several clients, I don't want to have the hassle to
> setup up several servers and keep them running.
>
> Is there any way to do this with CKAN 2.0?
>
> Or do I have to use the API and do an UI by myself and seperate the
> different datasets by tagging them?

This sounds like you want to use CKAN 2.0's "organizations" feature.
It's enabled by default and usable via the web frontend. You can create
organizations and each one gets its own page with a searchable list of
datasets, you can manage which users are members of an organization and
able to add datasets to it, etc.

There usn't a user guide for it yet afaik so you'll have to just play
around with the user interface.