[ckan-dev] Docs issues prioritised

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Mar 12 17:12:02 UTC 2013

As agreed in the dev meetup earlier today I've gone through the docs
issues on github and marked some of them high priority, we can assign
these on Thursday and try and get through them this sprint.

I ended up with 14 high priority docs tasks (maybe this is too many and
we need to cut it down further??)

If we get these done then, including the docs that already seem
up-to-date, we'll have decent, up-to-date docs for:

- Overview of CKAN
- Package Install and Upgrade
- Source Install and Upgrade
- Deployment
- Theming
- Using Extensions (just how to use them, not how to write them)
- Tag Vocabularies
- FileStore
- DataStore
- Multilingual
- Email Notifications
- Organizations (and auth)
- Data Previews
- API
- Admin Dashboard
- Paster Commands
- Configuration Options (i.e. the config file)
- CHANGELOG
- CONTRIBUTING

If we don't get time to also do the rest of the docs tasks and to do
general reorganising and editing/polishing, then I think the docs will
still look pretty shoddy and also the overall narrative and organisation
will be quite confusing and contradictory.

Ideally we would have time to sort it all out.

But failing that, my suggestion would be to delete all unfinished or
out-of-date or just plain bad docs pages from the table of contents (if
not actually deleting the files from git) leaving us with more or less
just the stuff listed above.

I'd rather we put out incomplete docs but have what is there be of some
quality, than put out a mess.

(There are some other pages that I would keep even though they may not
be completely up-to-date, mostly the For Developers stuff.)