[ckan-dev] FIxing the DataStore vs FileStore duality confusion

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Mar 14 10:30:01 UTC 2013

Just to update the dev list on this, there's a wiki page here outlining
the problems and suggested solutions:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/wiki/Spec:-DataStore-and-FileStore-Consolidation

The page is a bit "unfocused" and needs cleaning (sorry), there are:

- Some "Decisions" near the top, some of which are later contradicted by
  the suggested solutions below (so don't take these to be actual
  finialised decisions)

- "Suggested new datastore behaviour" is my attempted summary of what we
  came up with in the Skype meeting, it basically involves locking down the
  datastore for linked-to and uploaded resource files so that the
  datastore will be read-only, and then adding a new (fourth) type of
  resource for "pure datastore" resources that don't have any linked-to
  or uploaded file and that support write operations over the datastore
  API

  I've since convinced myself that this is a bad idea because it's too
  confusing from the user's point of view (see questions below the
  suggestion on the wiki page)

- "Alternative Suggestion: FileStore and DataStore as one resource type"
  is an alternative idea that might be much less work to implement and
  may cover everything while also being simpler from the user's point of
  view, I've just written this but no one has looked at/criticised it
  yet.

So I think the whole thing needs a bit more thought and feedback from
different people and we can moved towards evolving the
Decisions/Suggested new datastore behaviour/Alternative suggestion down
into just one solution that we can then implement.