[ckan-dev] Datastreaming possible?

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 12:56:43 UTC 2013

Hi Stephan,

If you find that the datastore can't handle the speed with which you will
be inserting data it might be worth checking out a time-series DB built for
the purpose and storing the other data (dataset etc) in CKAN. There's
probably no reason that the datastore can't process the data, but it is
unlikely to provide a lot of the 'slicing and dicing' that you'd want for
charting.

I've been looking at Seriesly (
http://dustin.github.com/2012/09/09/seriesly.html and
https://github.com/dustin/seriesly) recently which sounds like it might do
what you're after.  It's pretty fast and the API is reasonable, but would
probably mean either a new recline backend, or as Dominik suggests
self-built charting.

There are more details on the performance of seriesly at
http://dustin.github.com/2012/09/13/inside-seriesly.html and the figures
there are pretty impressive. I'm intending to use this for personal
projects integrated with CKAN at some point as I can think of a few
use-cases for this type of data.

Ross.