[ckan-dev] Problem encountered in CKAN 2.0 Post Installation

Yingqi Tang anakintang at gmail.com
Fri May 17 19:10:22 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I followed the ckan 2.0 doc to install ckan framework 2.0 from package on
Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (Amazon EC2 instance from the official Ubuntu 12.04lts
64bit AMI from Amazon). Everything works great and smooth (nice doc by the
way), and I was able to get it running. But I got a problem in Post
installation steps where by following the doc I execute:

paster sysadmin add seanh -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini

I got 'paster' is currently not installed, type sudo apt-get install
python-pastescript error message. So  I installed python-pastescript and
then execute again

paster sysadmin add seanh -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini

This time I got another error message:

Command 'sysadmin' not known...

So did I miss anything?

Finally it seems that the problem can be solved by doing

. /usr/lib/ckan/default/bin/activate
cd /usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan

But the doc says it's ONLY needed when installing from source, I just want
to confirm if this is a known issue or not. Does any one run into same
problem?

Thanks