[ckan-dev] plugins.toolkit

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri May 10 17:41:12 UTC 2013

On 10 May 2013 17:33, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> are there any objections or requests for others to be included?
>
> Am I allowed to just say "everything I'm importing the wrong way in
> ckanext-canada"? :-)

looking briefly I think that this would cover most things.  It's good
to see how external people use the extensions and what they need.

I think logic.get_or_bust might be worth including too.

Currently, you are importing some thing like c, _ etc that are already
in the toolkit from elsewhere which could be improved imho.  To be
honest I think that we need to improve our writing extensions docs
too.  My major concern would be the number of templates that you are
overriding but maybe these are all needed.  As I've said before the {%
ckan_extend %} tag allows some really simple template fixes without
having to do much copy and paste etc

Also try to avoid private functions eg in your logic.py
model.activity._changed_packages_activity_query() whilst you shouldn't
really play with the models directly, avoiding the private methods is
definitely advantageous.  I admit that sometimes there may be little
option.

cheers for your feedback
Toby