[ckan-dev] CKAN config - definitions

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed May 15 13:40:42 UTC 2013

> Following on from the discussion about the ckan configuration:
>
> We need to define config options currently we do this in app_globals
>
> eg
>
> 'search.facets.default': {'default': '10', 'type': 'int',
>                              'name': 'facets_default_number'},
>
> This needs to be expanded for example to have a description, example etc
> This starts to get messy and hard to read.
>
> I want to add a new file like this
>
> config_options.ini
> ============
>
> [search.facets.default]
> default = 10
> type = int
> name = facets_default_number
> description =
> This is some long bit of rst
> so that it can be in the docs
>

> ..note::
>
>   something important
>
> example = config_options.ini = 10
>
> [next.option]
>
> Would this be an acceptable format for people?  This would be the only
> place that the config options where defined.

This looks good to me. What about files like deployment.ini_tmpl, will
they be autogenerated from this config_options.ini? It's probably good
if they are, otherwise there's potential confusion between the default
values as defined in config_options.ini and the values of uncommented
config options in deployment.ini_tmpl.