[ckan-dev] More package install vs source install consolidation

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue May 21 09:16:49 UTC 2013

> On 20 May 2013 16:41, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> 1. Package installs have the `ckan` command, source installs don't

>> 1. For now we should be telling everyone to use `paster`, not `ckan`,
>> because `ckan` only works if you did a package install. So we need to
>> tell people to activate their virtualenv and change to the ckan dir
>> before running `paster` (or point them to the docs that explain this)

This doesn't make sense to me. The ckan command is the right way of
running commands on a package install. It is much simpler and you
don't have to worry about virtualenvs or config files, simplifying
things both for the users and for us when giving support. In my
opinion that far outweighs using the same commands on both install
types, so the ckan command should be the standard on a package
install, and if we can make it work with a source install great (I
don't think we will), if not perhaps we'll have to live with 2 ways of
running paster commands.

Adrià