[ckan-dev] Problem encountered in CKAN 2.0 Post Installation

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon May 27 09:23:38 UTC 2013

> I followed the ckan 2.0 doc to install ckan framework 2.0 from package on
> Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (Amazon EC2 instance from the official Ubuntu 12.04lts
> 64bit AMI from Amazon). Everything works great and smooth (nice doc by the
> way), and I was able to get it running. But I got a problem in Post
> installation steps where by following the doc I execute:
>
> paster sysadmin add seanh -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini
>
> I got 'paster' is currently not installed, type sudo apt-get install
> python-pastescript error message. So  I installed python-pastescript and
> then execute again
>
> paster sysadmin add seanh -c /etc/ckan/default/production.ini
>
> This time I got another error message:
>
> Command 'sysadmin' not known...
>
> So did I miss anything?
>
> Finally it seems that the problem can be solved by doing
>
> . /usr/lib/ckan/default/bin/activate
> cd /usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan
>

> But the doc says it's ONLY needed when installing from source, I just want
> to confirm if this is a known issue or not. Does any one run into same
> problem?

Those docs are wrong, you always need to activate your virtualenv
before running a paster or pip command, whether you installed from
package or from source.

I've written a new version of CKAN's command line interface (ie.
paster) docs here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/769-docs-reorg/paster.html

this should be merged into the default docs soon.

As Ian pointed out, if you did a package install then you get the
`ckan` command, which is the same as the paster command except you
don't need to activate your virtualenv before running it (and I don't
think you need to give a command-line option specifying your config
file either).

Currently this `ckan` command is undocumented and only comes with
package installs, but I"m hoping we'll get it into the source install
as well and documented soon.