[ckan-dev] data store permission problem

Henrik Korsgaard henrikkorsgaard at gmail.com
Mon May 27 18:37:45 UTC 2013

Hi Don,

Have you tried logging into the postgres db with a user and create/query
the tables?

If I remember correctly (I am not that familiar with postgres), you can
sign in to postgres with a specific user to a specific db and test the
permissions 'manually' like so:

psql --username=the_db_username --dbname=the_db_username -W --host=localhost

Then you can try viewing the specific db with \dt or \dv or the likes

Moreover, I had some issues with the permissions due to using identical
names for both the ckan db and the ckan db user, i.e. ckan_default as
database and username. This has not been verified as an issue though.
Lastly, I have had issues with the postgres permissions when setting them
over a ssh connection due to a locale (language encoding) conflict. But
again, I have not been able to reproduce the issues.

-Henrik

On 27 May 2013 18:21, Don Gourley <donald.gourley at gmail.com> wrote:

> What other information would be useful to troubleshoot my "permission
> denied
> for schema public" problem?
>
> thanks, Don
>

> Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 12:54:07 -0400
>> From: Don Gourley <donald.gourley at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [ckan-dev] data store permission problem
>> To: ckan-dev at lists.okfn.org
>>

>> After getting basic CKAN 2.0 working on CentOS 6, I set up the data store
>> according to the directions at
>> http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.0/datastore-setup.html
>>
>> When I try to test my installation with this URL:
>>
>> http://localhost/api/3/action/datastore_search?resource_id=_table_metadata
>>
>> I get a 500 server error. In the error log:
>>
>> [Sat May 25 11:47:44 2013] [error] [client 10.12.15.181] Error - <class
>> 'sqlalchemy.exc.ProgrammingError'>: (ProgrammingError) permission denied
>> for schema public
>> [Sat May 25 11:47:44 2013] [error] [client 10.12.15.181]  'CREATE TYPE
>> "nested" AS (json json, extra text)' {}
>>
>> The paster set-permissions command ran without error. I had to move CKAN
>> from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.2, and dumped and loaded the ckan database to do
>> that, but the data store database was created and set up directly on the
>> 9.2 database. I don't know much about the postgreSQL permissions or access
>> control model, but here's what my databases look like in postgres:
>>
>>                                   List of databases
>>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |   Access
>> privileges
>>
>> -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
>>  ckandb    | ckanuser | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>> =Tc/ckanuser
>>         +
>>            |          |          |             |             |
>> ckanuser=CTc/ckanuser
>>  ckandstor | ckanuser | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>> =Tc/ckanuser
>>         +
>>            |          |          |             |             |
>> ckanuser=CTc/ckanuser+
>>            |          |          |             |             |
>> ckandsro=c/ckanuser
>>

>> Any ideas where I went wrong?
>>
>> -Don

Med venlig hilsen - Best regards,

*Henrik Korsgaard*
Phone: +45 22377114
Office: CAVI 114b, Aarhus University

NB. I am slowly migrating my university related correspondence to my
official AU mail: korsgaard at cavi.au.dk - feel free to contact me at that
address if relevant.