[ckan-dev] how may I add a new harvesting source? - 'Please provide a source type' error

Elena Camossi elena.camossi at ext.jrc.ec.europa.eu
Thu Oct 10 14:36:40 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to harvest a CSW catalog using CKAN (version 2.1), but I'm stuck
trying to add a new harvesting source.

I expected to find a control (a button, a link, a dropdown, a menu item)
within the harvesting web interface at http:// <http://%3cmysite%3e/harvest>
<mysite>/harvest, but  I didn't find anything, but according to what I have
read here and somewhere, there was something in the past versions.

So, I tried the CLI instead, running the paster command

harvester source

as described here:
https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-harvest#command-line-interface, but I don't
know how to pass the required parameter source type to describe I want to
use a CSW harvester for this source , and I get an error 'Please provide a
source type'. The obvious csw, csw_harvest, etc don't work and give another
error:

ckan.logic.ValidationError: {'name': ['Url must be purely lowercase
alphanumeric (ascii) characters and these symbols: -_'], 'source_type':
[u'Unknown harvester type: csw. Have you registered a harvester for this
type?']}

Where are the available harvesters registered? Is there any configuration
file listing them?

My plugin setting is as follows:

ckan.plugins = stats text_preview recline_preview synchronous_search harvest
ckan_harvester spatial_metadata spatial_query wms_preview csw_harvester
doc_harvester waf_harvester spatial_harvest_metadata_api resource_proxy
pdf_preview geojson_preview

Thanks for any help and suggestion.

Regards,

-Elena