[ckan-dev] Shared access to the database

Richard Gomes rgomes.info at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:59:07 UTC 2013

Hello,

Suppose I have one CKAN application running, like when we start it in
the regular way using the paster command.
Now suppose I have "another application" running, which accesses the
same database, via classes exposed via ckan.model package.

Now suppose that the "another application" adds/updates/deletes objects
to/from the database.
What would be the impact onto CKAN instance?

To be more precise about the architecture... I'm not willing to dig
inside the architecture/code/design of CKAN; I'm not willing to create
plugins for it. I'm happy with what it provides.
I prefer to have my own small applications, which can be web
applications or not, which are small, simple and under my full control
and full understanding.
These small applications are responsible for inserting content onto
CKAN, as well as managing organizations, users and packages.

Then I would like to know what would be the impact of such architecture
onto a regular CKAN instance.

Any assistance / ideas / sharing of experiences are very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot :)

Richard Gomes
http://rgomes.info
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rgomes