[ckan-dev] [ckan-discuss] New i18n guidelines for CKAN

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Wed Apr 9 17:07:44 UTC 2014

> How would this work with variables and things like ngettext?

Well you could still use variables, but it looks a bit weird, I agree.
Maybe there is a better solution for those cases:
 msgid "{actor} activity_stream.start_follow {dataset}"
which used to be:
msgid "{actor} started following {dataset}"

or:
 msgid "1 activity_stream.new_activity_from_singular {site_title}"
 msgid_plural "{n} activity_stream.new_activity_from_plural {site_title}"
which used to be:
 msgid "1 new activity from {site_title}"
 msgid_plural "{n} new activities from {site_title}"

Also, wouldn't this make CKAN really hard to use until it has been
> completely translated into a new language?

It depends, you could still use the English translation as the template
(i.e. copy/paste and start to change it). I'm not entiertly sure, but I
think if you export a language from Transifex, it actually provides you all
missing strings from the source language (=English).

--
Liip AG  //  Feldstrasse 133 //  CH-8004 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch