[ckan-dev] Commenting alternatives to Disqus?

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 10:58:06 UTC 2014

I’ve asked a few people about funding, and it looks like there is the possibility of at least part-funding this work.  By part-funding I mean >  50%, probably more depending on solution. As David pointed out, it seems realistic that others would find this of benefit enough to contribute to the development costs.  I’d imagine that engagement would be a rather import KPI for some portals, and it seems rather inelegant to rely on the current solution of expecting users to have yet another login at another 3rd party service.

In order to obtain the funding, it’ll be necessary though to map out what CKAN commenting would consist of.  Answering questions like:

1. Standalone isso type service, or standard CKAN extension?
2. Is there a moderation queue with mollom/akismet integration for spam?
3. How is CKAN auth/auth integrated? How will solutions that use mixed auth be able to use comments? (for instance if auth is done through Drupal or WordPress).
4. Can existing comments be migrated from disqus to new solution?
5. Will it just be for datasets, or related-items, resources, and others?
6. Should it be threaded?
7. How easy will it be to install? Will I need my own theme to integrate the comments? Will it work like ckanext-disqus?
8. Will it work with ckanext-issues for feedback?

If anyone is interested in undertaking the work, please do speak up and hopefully we can make some progress.

Answers to any of these questions also welcome :)

Ross