[ckan-dev] install instructions for 2.2: link to /etc/ckan directory

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Mon Aug 4 13:52:44 UTC 2014

Hi Brenda,

Our current pattern supports multiple CKAN instances. As you know, we use
/etc/ckan for configuration files, and /usr/lib/ckan for the actual code.
When you have multiple instances, say "foo" and "bar", you'll have:

/etc/ckan/foo
/etc/ckan/bar
/usr/lib/ckan/foo
/usr/lib/ckan/bar

Anything related to each instance is separated in their own subfolder.

As we've been using this structure for quite some time, and we haven't had
much problems with it, I don't think it's worthwhile to change them.

Thanks for your willingness to help, though. If you find some other points
that you feel could be improved (maybe the docs aren't clear enough on the
folder structure we use for multiple sites?), please ping us. If you don't
find anything but still want to help, there're a few issues on our GitHub
that we mark for "Good for Contribution", check
https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22Good+for+Contribution%22,
that we would love to get some help with.

Cheers,

> In ckan v2.2, the "install from source" instructions say to link from
> /etc/ckan to your ckan instance (development directory).  Then the
> instructions ask you to make a subdirectory in /etc/ckan for the
> instance config.
>
> But that means it would be difficult (or at least require a different
> approach) to have another ckan instance on your machine.  Either the
> other instance would have to have its config files in the first
> instance's working directory (because that's where /etc/ckan points),
> or there would have to be a solution that doesn't match the docs.
> This is confusing for new users.
>
> I think that a directory /etc/ckan should be made, and a link created
> for each instance to the instance config.  Would this be a problem?
> I'm a bit new to ckan so maybe I have missed something.
>

> v2.2 instructions:
>
> /etc/ckan -> /home/me/ckaninst01 (with development.ini here)
>

> My suggestion:
>
> /etc/ckan/ckaninst01 -> /home/me/ckaninst01/etc/ (with development.ini
> here)
>
> or even
>
> /etc/ckan/ckaninst01 -> /home/me/ckaninst01/etc/ckan/ (with
> development.ini here)
>

> If this suggestion gets the go-ahead, I can make a documentation patch.
>
> bjb

Vítor Baptista

Developer  |  http://vitorbaptista.com | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/vitorbaptista> | @vitorbaptista