[ckan-dev] New entry in the mailing list and some requests

monica.palmirani monica.palmirani at unibo.it
Wed Feb 5 17:22:29 UTC 2014

Hello to everybody,
I am new in the mailing list, so sorry if the questions are stupid and
trivial.

We are a research group of University of Bologna that is active in Legal
Informatics (technical and legal people together) for supporting the
Open Data movement.

We are helping the Municipality of Ravenna (Italy) to provide technical
specifications in order to set up CKAN for their open data portal.

We have four questions that I didn't find answers in CKAN documentation
and I would really appreciate if you could help me to find proper
specifications:
1. RDF - I would like to publish RDF file like in this link
http://publicdata.eu/dataset/financial-transactions-british-museum
in the bottom there is this part
"Other Access
The information on this page (the dataset metadata) is also available in
these formats:
Json/RDF"
Question#1.1: where I can find the plug/in for publishing this in
automatic way fostering the metadata of CKAN?
Question#1.2: can I modify the vocabulary connected with some metadata
(e.g. INSPIRE) or I must use only DCAT/foaf/DC vocabularies?
2. Temporal series - we would like to manage the temporal series in
order to have the same dataset, but with a specific relationship for the
temporal series. To use only "Data and Resources" I think it is not
enough. I could have in this session several files that don't are
connected by temporal relationship (e.g. geoData shapefile). So I feel
the need to have a separate tab for managing inside of the same dataset
the temporal series.
Question#2.1: does it exist a method for implementing this functionality?
Question#2.2: is it possible to open a ticket on this issue?
3. relationship among dataset - how to extend them with an external
ontology that could qualify the type of relationship?
I have found this documentation
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/wiki/Dataset-relationships
that defines the following relationships:

  * depends_on
  * dependency_of
  * derives_from
  * has_derivation
  * child_of
  * parent_of

Question#3.1: How can I extend this taxonomy?
Question#3.2: How can I qualify this relationship via user-interface?

Many thanks in advance.
Yours,
monica

--
Associate professor of Legal Informatics
E-mail  monica.palmirani at unibo.it