[ckan-dev] ckan form - help

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Wed Feb 5 19:03:29 UTC 2014

Hi Kristi,

I am not sure of all the intrinsicalities of CKAN, but it does not change
change de tables. If I remember well, there is a table of "extras" where
CKAN stores the field name and values of the additional fields. A new field
can also be defined as a tag (in which case it goes with a defined
vocabulary, it's a bit more complex).

In the example, you see this happen here:

   def _modify_package_schema(self, schema):
        # Add our custom country_code metadata field to the schema.
        schema.update({
                'country_code': [tk.get_validator('ignore_missing'),
                    tk.get_converter('*convert_to_tags*')('country_codes')]
                })
        # Add our custom_test metadata field to the schema, this one will use
        # convert_to_extras instead of convert_to_tags.
        schema.update({
                'custom_text': [tk.get_validator('ignore_missing'),
                    tk.get_converter('*convert_to_extras*')]
                })
        return schema

Basically, it adds extras (or tags) from the DB to the data schema that is
made available.

Steph

Stéphane Guidoin
Director, Transportation