[ckan-dev] linking data in private S3 buckets

Fawcett, David (MNIT) David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Wed Feb 19 14:37:51 UTC 2014

Nigel,

This seems like a big functionality change for a  ‘minor’ release.  I don’t want to question this specific case, but I think that it is useful for the developers to think about their strategy for adding and changing functionality and how that affects maintainability for the user community.

One cool thing about CKAN is that it is a healthy project.  Quite a few committers, frequent commits and new features.  The flip side is that some of these new features and fixes are not backwards-compatible between minor versions.  This makes it difficult for people who are implementing big enterprise systems based on CKAN, particularly the organizations that we really want to see sharing their data, governments. Somewhere in there is a balance.

CKAN is gaining significant market share in the open data space, and that is great.  If people decide that it is too hard to maintain an instance because minor version upgrades break their install, I expect to see fewer people choosing CKAN for their new projects.

Don’t get me wrong.  I like CKAN and we are happy that it is there for us to use in our project.  I just want to suggest that more thought and communication is put into when major and breaking changes are released.  (The publishing of the weekly meeting notes is a great start.)

Thanks,

David.