[ckan-dev] Wordpress and CKAN

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Sun Feb 23 22:48:04 UTC 2014

Hello,

For the City of Montréal, we used Wordpress along CKAN. The strategy was
almost the same as what Stefan explained (Note that the wordpresser
extension is more or less deprecated... it has not been transferred to the
new CKAN Repo https://github.com/ckan/)

The way we did it is:
- Apache is serving CKAN and Wordpress "independently"
- Nginx is used a reverse server + redirection (all the CKAN url /groups/*,
/packages/*, etc) are directed to CKAN, the remaining to Wordpress.
Everything is on the same subdomain, there is not dedicated subdomain for
one of the tool
- Wordpress also serve the root (/) of the domain and we use CKAN API calls
to integrate some CKAN stuff on the homepage (like the "hot" packages)
- The city already had a theme for Wordpress (who was previously used to
host the data), so a designer worked to integrate the existing design to
work with CKAN. It's probably the most time intensive task although it is
not tremendous (few days)

There's a guide done by the data.gov.uk team to put CKAN along drupal. The
same principal applies with drupal (except that with Drupal, it is possible
to integrate drupal comment module in the CKAN pages which does not seem to
be possible with Wordpress)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMRxuwVh7rK-dDRZukspC4y2HlXynF4RGS0mj4OjhVo/edit

Stéphane