[ckan-dev] CKAN on an EC2 Not Connecting

William Morris wboykinm at geosprocket.com
Thu Jan 16 02:45:21 UTC 2014

Many apologies for missing what is almost certainly in front of my
nose, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I failed to make
my CKAN package install accessible from my EC2 instance.

The problem: Attempting to access the IP - as well as the solr page
:8983/solr - results in a timeout and "Could not connect" message in
the browser.

The configuration: I'm running . . .
- CKAN 2.1.1, installed from package
- on an Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64-bit EC2
- on elastic IP 50.19.249.31
- with a security group that has ports 22, 80 and 5000 open
- solr is successfully running on jetty (according to the command line)
- "ckan db init" was successful, with some messages:
https://gist.github.com/wboykinm/169b1214a4ce69533793
- still no connection in the browser, even after I restarted apache to be sure

I followed the same process to get CKAN working successfully on a
local VM, so it's obviously a problem with my EC2 security settings,
but what am I missing? I followed the procedure indicated in the docs:
http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7.4/install-from-package-amazon.html

Thanks for your assistance, in any case.

-Bill Morris
Burlington, VT

William Morris | Cartographer
(802)-870-0880 | geosprocket.io | GeoSprocket LLC, Burlington VT